Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Maine Senior FarmShare Program

Through the Maine Senior FarmShare Program, Maine farmers provide fresh, unprocessed, locally grown produce to low-income seniors. Food is distributed directly from farms to seniors. Each participating senior receives a share worth $50 of produce during the growing season.


Farms are prepaid in the spring for the produce they agree to provide later in the season. Only fresh, unprocessed vegetables, fruits and herbs from the farmer are acceptable FarmShare products.


To qualify, seniors must meet both age and income requirements. They must be age 60 or over (age 55 or over for Native Americans), and have a total income (including all pensions, social security and other payments) of no more than 185% of the poverty level. Participating seniors must sign an agreement with a specific farmer to provide their share.

The Maine Senior FarmShare Program is administered by the Maine Department of Agriculture (DOA) in partnership with other agencies and organizations, including the Office of Elder Services, the Maine Nutrition Network, Maine Cooperative Extension, and Maine's five Area Agencies on Aging. The Program is funded through the USDA Food and Nutrition Service, Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP).


For more information on program guidelines and participating farmers call Area Agencies on Aging at 1-877-353-3771 or visit www.getrealmaine.com.

2 comments:

Ada Miller said...

I am 54 years old and returned to work after full Social Security Disability because I needed to purchase fuel for my home and because I found an employer willing to work with my disability limitations. I am single and currently staying with my son and his wife. It takes everything I have some days to go to work, but God gives me the strength. Our local physician has helped me manage my condition but it takes 13 different medications to balance. Do we have a program locally for people like me to get fresh produce at a reduced or coop price? Sincerely grateful to God. Ada Miller

Fossa General Store said...

Ada,
I will check and see if there is a program to fit your needs.
There is a senior citizen share program, but you are not a senior (yet :)
I will try to find out and post here.
Stay well...
Judy